Boy, oh, Boy! What a year this has been!
I recently wrote a little about getting Birth Walk launched this year and some new directions I am going to take and while so much has happened already, I feel like I am just scratching the service of everything that is to come. You should see my wall–covered in lists and diagrams trying to keep straight all of the pieces I am trying to put together, trying to extend my hands to reach more women who are becoming mothers.
At the heart of my vision for the next year is my belief in the power of community to nurture, mentor and support. There are two pieces to this, really:
First, right now most women who have a doula present for their birth are blessed with some degree of affluence. They are mostly educated, professional-types with the means to hire additional support. Yet, many of the women who would benefit the most from a doula wouldn’t know a doula from a dingbat. These are women who are at risk for having unplanned or disappointing outcomes because they don’t even realize they have choices or the impacts of those choices on their future wellbeing. I want to expand doula access and education to as many women as I can (and I can’t do it it alone)!
Second, a year in to my doula journey, I have learned a lot and have pushed myself hard to learn things as quickly as possible. One thing that would have helped me and will hopefully help other emerging doulas is a kick-ass mentor program. Mentoring works. It can help someone truly find their gifts through a nurturing professional relationship and can give a newbie a real boost when it comes to creating lasting connections in a professional community. We can learn so much from one another if we’re willing to share what we know.
So, without further ado, here’s a sneak preview of some of the projects and collaborations I am working on for 2013!
- Complete doula certification and start certification process as a Childbirth Educator
- More Clients! (Maternity leave is OVER!)
- Add Postpartum Care
- More blogging, including guest posts and a very important series coming up–about choices for birth.
- Creating a community for women to share their journeys
- And the one I’m super excited about: a Birth Planning Took Kit on birthwalk.com
Projects & Partnerships:
- Teaching Classes via Mama’s Hip. Mothers At The Well, a writing and rite of passage workshop is already on the calendar, with more in the works!
- Create a mentoring program for doulas in the Louisville area through Birth Care Network
- Design and coordinate a volunteer/ low-cost doula program with Louisville-based Mama To Mama (oh yeah, and write a grant for funding!).
Do you think I can manage to do all of this in one year??? I can’t wait to find out!